08 July 2012

Latest Results: Ringmer

Searching for Roman roads in Sussex is the subject of my long term project, and recently I have had the chance to survey a previously unknown section of road near Ringmer. This section of road connects with two others, but whilst they are made of flint, this road, as you can see from the results, is made from both flint and Roman iron bloomery slag, which makes it easy to spot. There have apparently been a lot of coins found in the area, but it looks like the site has been picked clean, as nothing seems to be appearing now. To the south of the road are a number of 'features' I can't decide yet whether they are geological or archaeological, but I am tending towards the latter. I will be starting a different project soon, but I will be returning to this site with a new blog post at some point in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment